A ribbon cutting ceremony hosted by Wayne County will be held on Wednesday, June 26th at 5:30 PM to mark the completion of Phase One of ongoing improvements to Stoepel Park No.1 in the Grandmont Rosedale community. This project has been extremely successful so far and there is a lot to celebrate!
Improvements to date have included the re-grading and installation of outfield fences, warning tracks, and bleachers at three of the four existing baseball diamonds. A new ¾ mile asphalt walking track has also been installed around the entire perimeter of the four fields.
The project has been spearheaded by the Rosedale Grandmont Little League, Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation, the City of Detroit and Wayne County, which paid for and installed the asphalt walking track.
Wayne County will host a short program at the park starting at 5:30 PM, featuring hot dogs and refreshments provided by the walking path contractor, Play Environments. The whole community is invited to come out and help us celebrate.
There are many people and organizations to thank for their support of this project thus far. In addition to the dozens of volunteers who have contributed hundreds of hours of their time, project organizers also wish to thank:
- Wayne County – walking path and outfield fence
- City of Detroit – fence fabric, poles, fence repair
- Keep America Beautiful and Lowes – warning track installation
- Meijers Corporation – bleachers
- Ford Motor Company – fence installation, fence repair, field re-grading
- Detroit Local Initiatives Support Corporation – fence repair, temporary foul poles, bases
- On Target Contracting – dead tree removal
- Baseball Tomorrow Fund – grant writing support for the project
- Detroit Tigers Foundation – field improvements, cleats and gloves for players
- AAA Michigan – scholarships for Little League
- SEMCOG, Detroit Department of Water and Sewerage – Green Infrastructure Plan
- Hubbell, Roth and Clark – design services
- L.I.J.B.S. – towing services
- All World Landscaping – field improvements
Phase Two of the project is still ongoing. Additional support is needed to complete the following items:
- Re-orientation, re-grading and fence installation at the fourth field
- Dugout renovation and foul pole installation on all four fields
- New “green infrastructure” parking lot installation
- Permanent equipment storage
Please join us and spread the word! For more information on how to get involved or donate to the improvement project please contact Cathy Marshall at (313) 387-4732 ext. 105 or at email@example.com.